8 STEPS OF FOSTERING
1. "Foster Dog Pull Approval"
Did you come across a super cute puppy on one of the shelter Websites and you want nothing more than giving this little fur ball a loving home to prepare him for his furever family? That's great! We are happy you want to help and couldn't do it without you but unfortunately, funds are limited. In order to find out whether or not Addicus is in the position to pull this dog, please reach out to Sheila Rouse at or for approval. Going forward, dogs can ONLY be approved by her.
2. Fill out the Foster Dog Intake Form (within 48 hours of receiving your foster dog)
This form is very important for our admin team to be able to track where the dog is currently located and to set him up with a Facebook thread for all future communication.
The information provided will also help our marketing team setting the dog up with all basic information on our Website.
IMPORTANT: Please don't forget to text or e-mail all shelter and/or medical records to Kat Farrior at (908) 502-1766 or email@example.com.
3. Fill out the Medication Request Form (within 48 hours of receiving your foster)
Please order the following and get them started immediately after receipt:
- Heart Worm Preventative (dogs > 12 weeks old)
- Flea & Tick Preventative (dogs > 12 weeks old)
- Dewormer (dogs > 8 weeks old; unless you get the dog from another foster who has already completed this. Please confirm!)
Please check off any other medication listed on the form (if applicable) or message Amy Stanton at www.facebook.com/amy.m.stanton.1 if you are unsure. Please don't list spay/neuter or other procedures on this form since they have to be taken care of by a vet.
Heart Worm and Flea & Tick Preventatives are to be given to the dog the same day every month. Please make a note in your calendar on the next date they are due. Setting a reminder ten days before that date will allow you to re-order the medications right in time.
4. Check the Medical Checklist to see if your Foster Dog needs to see a Vet
Please check first which of these vaccines your foster may have already received at the shelter. If additional care is needed, please schedule an appointment with one of our approved vets.
Basics for Dogs > 8 weeks old:
- Two Rounds of DHPP
- Rabies (dogs > 14 weeks old)
- Spay/Neuter (dogs > 6 months old)
- Heart Worm Testing (dogs > 6 months old; unless the shelter has already tested for this. Please confirm!)
IMPORTANT: Puppies may need additional care as outlined on the checklist.
5. Make sure you are added to your Foster Dog's Facebook Messenger thread for all future Communication
Now please provide the following:
- Clear photos, including a head shot and other fun pictures that reflect your dog's personality. Outdoor photos preferred. High-quality photos will help your house guest getting adopted out faster.
- All relevant information about your foster dog that will help the marketing team putting together a detailed biography for our Website.
Spread the word about your foster on your own Facebook or Instagram page, on Nextdoor and/or any other platform you are on.
7. Help potential Adopters getting to know your Foster Dog
Once you are provided with the contact information of a potential adopter, please reach out to them within 48 hours and give them all relevant information about the dog. This is also a great opportunity for you to get a feel for the adopter and if you have any concerns at all about the well-being of your foster dog in his new home, please let your Application Coordinator know.
If the adopter is still interested in moving forward and lives within driving distance to you, you can now schedule a meet and greet with them. This can happen at a public place, such as a park, at your home or their home. This really depends on your comfort level.
Once the applicant is ready to adopt, they can find the contract and make the adoption payment ($250 for Texas and $450 for out-of-state adoptions) on our Website under the Adopt tab. The dog CANNOT BE RELEASED to the adopter without confirmation of contract, payment and all of the dog's paperwork (medical and shelter records). Please confirm that all of your foster's documents are complete or reach out to Kat Farrior if you're missing anything.
8. If your Foster needs to go on Transport
To be transported out of Texas, your foster dog will need to be up-to-date on the following vaccines:
- Two Rounds of DHPP
- Rabies (dogs > 14 weeks old)
- A negative heart worm test (dogs > 6 months old), unless they were recently treated for heart worm (this information should be including on their vet records)
- Spay/Neuter documentation (> 6 months old)
You will also need a Health Certificate from a vet that was issued 5 to 8 days before transport. Your foster MUST be seen by a vet in person to receive this certificate.
Drop-off location and a list of all required items to be sent with your dog can be found here.
Please note: Drop-off is always on a Thursday at around 10:30 AM (for Austin drop-offs). Unfortunately, this may not be convenient for many of you who work full-time. If you realize that you won't be able to take your foster dog to transport yourself, please post for help on our Addicus' Legacy Foster and Volunteers page on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/225623824449371/) a week before transport. A lot of times, you may have to drop off your foster dog with someone who is willing to help out the night before.
Lastly, please ensure that you were added to the Facebook Messenger thread for your transport date. Philippa Scott (www.facebook.com/philippa.scott.3) will provide you with all necessary updates and schedule changes a few days before.
Are you a 1st Time Foster?
Please request to be added to our closed Addicus' Legacy Foster and Volunteers group on Facebook and introduce yourself via brief post. In order to be approved to the group a bit faster, please mention in the Q&A section that you are an approved foster.
We believe this should answer the most common foster questions but if you still need further assistance, please reach out to Kat Farrior at (908) 502-1766 or via Facebook at